In this caregiver spotlight episode, meet Elizabeth’s sister and family caregiver Susie Morrell who recently moved from the suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Hubbard Lake, Michigan. Susie is an oil painter and shares practical tips on how she made and executed plans to move her mom while settling her twins into college. She talks about her current routine and how she is able to integrate self-care while discovering her ‘new normal’.
Listen to the show: Caregiver Spotlight: Susie Morrell (Elizabeth’s sister)
Words of Encouragement
Each episode starts off with a few words of inspiration or motivation that is pulled from the Happy Healthy Caregiver Jar. The Caregiver Jar was first started as a gift from Elizabeth to her sister when Elizabeth was transitioning primary caregiver responsibilities to her Susie.
Because Susie has her own jar she pulled this episode’s inspiration.
Links & Resources Mentioned
- Link to original Caregiver Spotlight with Susie on the blog from August 2016
- Link to podcast episode about asking your children for more help
- The Walgreens App Susie uses to help manage her mom’s prescriptions
- Visiting Angels: The homecare service that Susie has used as a backup option for her mom’s care
- Speaking of angels…here’s a picture of Susie’s snow angel on one of her self-care walks
- Daughterhood Circles an option in many cities for family caregiver support
- Elizabeth’s fall family vacation to Barcelona & Paris that took place during Susie’s house move
- Focus on the Family podcast that Susie recommended
- Two books Susie recommended – Jesus Calling by Sarah Young and The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher
- Susie’s current Netflix show is The Crown.
- The apps Susie recommended in the episode for exercise included Seven – 7 minute Workout and Abs & Core
- Free download: The Family Responsibilities Worksheet
- Bonus download! The Caregiving Responsibilities Worksheet
- Susie’s definition of a ‘happy healthy caregiver’: “Caring for the person you care for in the best way you know how (making their life rich & full) but not forgetting about yourself – being your best self”
- Susie’s online art gallery that features her oil paintings and her art focused blog
Some of the links on this page are Amazon affiliate links. When you click on a product and choose to purchase it, I receive a small thank you from Amazon which helps reimburse me for my blogging, podcast, & site expenses. There is no additional cost to you.
Stay in touch
- Instagram: HappyHealthyCaregiver
- Join the Happy Healthy Caregiver Facebook Group and our Facebook Page
- Twitter: @HHCaregiver
- Subscribe to the Happy Healthy Caregiver newsletter to stay up to date on the latest posts & events.
- Email me with questions or comments about the show or to request information about sponsoring the show.
- This week’s listener question: What questions do you have for Susie?